Sunday, September 30, 2007

Three Floyd's Brewery


Place: Three Floyd's Brewery
Location: Munster, IN


This weekend was my father-in-law's 50th birthday and the wife and I headed up the northwest Indiana area. I had some time before his party, so I went to FFF's since it isn't very far from their house. The brewery is in the quiet little town of Munster in the "region" of northwest Indiana, and many people that live in Munster commute into Chicago for work.

FFF's is easy to find with proper directions just off of the highway, but when you turn off of the main road you drive into an industrial park and you don't really think a brewery or a restaurant are hiding back here, but you turn on Indiana Ave and there it is. You are greeted with a very cool Alpha King metal sculpture holding a keg with the FFF's on it. It's the picture above. The outside isn't anything to write home about. It really looks like a warehouse that they added a brewpub to, but that is alright with me.


The pub isn't very big inside, but it is very inviting with bright colors, TV's, several couches, and a friendly waitress that sat us down before the front door even closed. There are two rooms to the pub with one side where the main bar area and some table seating are located and the other side with just tables and a window looking into the brewery. The menu is a decent size with traditional pub grub including pizza, burgers, sandwiches, soups, and salads. I had the mufalletta sandwich (if you like meat this is your sandwich) and it was really good and the fries to match are also very good. I would come here for food even if they didn't serve beer. We always had full drinks and the waitress was very attentive. They had college football playing on the flat screens. I was very happy. Honestly, this is one of the best brewpubs I have ever been to. Good food, great beer, and great service, and I will be back as often as I can. If you find yourself heading to Chicago for the weekend it is well worth the stop either to or from Chicago.

I also took the brewery tour that they do every Saturday. It's only a dollar and you get a cold alpha king in a bottle to drink. The person leading the tour was one of the brewers. I didn't write his name down unfortunately, but he did a good job. In the brewery I first saw the oak barrels that were aging some of their beers. I can't wait until Dark Lord day '08 and get some oak aged DL. You can read it in the picture and the date.



We were lead around the corner to where the huge sacks of barley are located and were quickly lead over to the bottling/kegging area with the fermentation barrels in the background. He talked about the process and how long it takes usually to get a batch ready to be bottled and sold to the public. The tour is only about 15 minutes, but our guide stuck around for about 30 mins just answering questions and being a good host.

Three Floyd's is known for how "hoppy" their beers are and I was asking about the hop shortage (I will be writing about this soon) and how it was effecting them. As of right now it hasn't really effected them much, but they are very worried about it and are following the hop crop very closely. The water for FFF's comes from the huge water tower that is right behind the brewery, and it sure does make for some great beer. FFF's does about 4,000 barrels a year and our guide told us that there are plans for expansion.

I stated it before, but this place is a great place to come for good food and amazing beer. I will continue to go back again and again.

4.8 out of 5.
Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

CorrND said...

What a coincidence -- I was also just at Three Floyds this past week! I also wrote up a little review as part of my weekend roundup and linked to your post:

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2007/10/beer-weekend-fun-at-oliver-three-floyds.html