Saturday, September 22, 2007

Chatham Tap


The newest pub to open up in downtown Indianapolis is Chatham Tap. It just opened at the beginning of September, and I took the wife there today to check it out. It is in a very nice location at the end of Mass Ave close to College Ave. It sits right next to the Scholars Inn and a comedy place that I haven't been to, but have always said I would go.

You first see a big St. George's Cross and the Three Lions (these are national symbols of England) on the window and next you see a Tetley's sign saying they were going to be watching the Manchester City game, so I was excited about that. Since Rob and Jay's Chippie closed down on College it's hard to get a good soccer fix in town. The game wasn't being show because of College football, but I can't win them all. They were playing the 11 a.m. game of Manchester United game the next morning though.

Chatham Tap is a cozy pub very much in the English style (without the stink of cigarettes and old beer though). The bar isn't as wide as it is deep and has wood tables to the back of the pub, and some black and white soccer pictures on the walls, and a standard bar with hard alcohol in the middle flanked by mirrors and the taps. They have a great selection of English beer's on tap and a few locals that was nice to see. Tetley's, Boddington's, and Guinness all on nitro-tap. Fuller's ESB, Bell's Oberon (I hope this will be a Bell's rotating tap) Barley Island, and Hobgoblin. They also had two Kolsch offerings from Germany, but I didn't write them down.

I had a really good meal of a portabella mushroom cap and smoked Gouda. The menu has traditional English fare with steak and kidney pie, fish and chips, and Yorkshire pudding. I was sad to not see any cheesy-top cottage pie, but that will be saved for London only I guess.

I had a Tetley's while I was there and it was really tasty. I haven't had Tetley's on tap in Indiana, so I was very surprised to see it. The next blog entry will be for the Tetley's review.

The food is good, the bar has a good selection, and it's a great atmosphere. I think this is a great addition to the Mass Ave. area, and you should definitely give it a chance if you are in the area.

4.0 out of 5.
Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

Jason said...

The Hoosier Beer Geeks will be at the Chattap tonight at 8pm. Come on out if you are willing and able.