Wednesday, September 26, 2007

New Holland Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Old Ale


Beer: New Holland Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Old Ale
Brewery Location: Holland, Michigan
Beer Style: American Strong Ale
Serving Style: Bottle/Bomber
ABV: 9.0%


I will preface this by saying this beer should be a sipper accompanied by a cold day. It pours a viscous black and settles into a deep chocolate color with a light brown head. Getting your nose into the glass it is all oak and sweet whiskey and alcohol smell. As the beer warmed I got more and more of a vanilla scent. The taste is dominated by the oak flavor, hints of vanilla, malt, caramel and an alcohol twinge. It's unique and a sipper, but the oak is overdone and is far too dominant for my liking. The mouth feel is actually very smooth and quite creamy.

I think this is a solid beer, but be ready for it. The alcohol is well hidden and it will sneak up on you. I am going to give this another try come this winter and see how it strikes me.

3.5 out of 5.
Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

Matt said...

Oh I geeked out the first tiem I had this stuff! I gulped down on it and before I knew it two bottles were down and I was hammered!