Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale


Beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Brewery Location: Chico, CA
Style: American Pale Ale
Serving Style: Bottle/Bomber
ABV: 5.6%


This offering from Sierra Nevada is their flagship beer and available in about every grocery store, big box retailer, and liquor store around. Hell, you can even find it at Wal-Mart. I have no problems with this at all. If the masses are going to expect more from their beer it needs to be readily available to them. It's been a while since I've had this pale ale, so what better time than now to give it a whirl again.

It pours a nice golden copper hue with two fingers of fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

1. Non-Beer Geeks: When I say "fingers of head" I am talking about the amount of head on the beer with my fingers as sizing units to measure the size of the head.
2. When I say lacing I am talking about the little bits of head that are left streaking on the glass as the beer is consumed. (My non-beer geek friends asked for this)

Back to Live Action:
The aroma is vibrantly floral fresh and is very inviting with a touch of hops but you have to put your nose into it to really get a good smell of those cascade hops. The first sip is a little bitter for an APA, but it finished crisp and very smooth on the back of the palate and a creamy malty finish. This beer just tastes natural as the brewer wants with no additives in the brewing process. The mouth feel is very light and the finish goes down very easily. I am not sure if it's because I have a 22 oz bomber for sample, but by the end of the beer my mouth feels dry. I could get in trouble with this easy drinking pale ale. If you have a friend you want to move over from BMC's I think this is a good starting point for them. Great representation of the style and just a good beer.

4.1 Pints out of 5.
Cheers!
Matt

No comments: