Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sinebrychoff Porter


Beer: Sinebrychoff Porter
Brewery Location: Kerava, Finland
Beer Style: Baltic Porter
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 7.2%

I've been looking forward to drinking this for a while. Kahn's has two varieties of this on their shelves. The one that I am reviewing I am assuming is from their latest shipment. They also have another variety on this that was brewed back in 2000. It was two dollars more, so I just went with this instead. After looking at the company's product line in America, this may the first and only beer that I have from them.

Pours a deep black with slight ruby highlights when held up to the light. A non-aggressive pour reveals a huge frothy tan head that held tight for about half the beer and left good lacing on the walls of my pint glass. A nice caramel scent first hits my nose, but when I really got a good smell I got complex notes of dark fruits (raisins and plums) with some bitter chocolate and coffee. A very nice nose on this. The flavor profile takes the nose even further. The first sip is rich in complexity with toffee, sweet malt, bitter chocolate, and coffee sharing the workload perfectly on my palate. The mouthfeel is full bodied, but is about as smooth as you are going to find in a porter with medium carbonation and just a slight touch of warming alcohol. I would gladly drink this again, and now I wish I would have bought the 2000 version for a taste as well.

This is my favorite porter of the year thus far. The taste and mouthfeel are just so comforting on this like you were having a bowl of your grandmother's chicken noodle soup. It provides that kind of comfort for me here. I know that Party Pak and Kahns both carry this.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: