Saturday, January 12, 2008

Deschutes Obsidian Stout


Beer: Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Brewery Location: Bend, OR
Beer Style: American Stout
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 6.4%



This is my second review of a Deschutes beer. I would really like to see their product line come further east because both beers have been a real pleasure to drink. Their world famous "The Abyss" comes out this week, and I would like to try that as well, but I think this is as lucky as I am going to get.

This pours a deep black with slight ruby highlights when held up to the light. A thin tan head sits on top of this beer that didn't hold very well and collapsed quickly, but did leave decent lacing on the glass. Smells like a great stout should with heavy scents of roasted barley and a touch of coffee in the nose. The taste is a real treat with a solid combination of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and a touch of hops are well balanced in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout, but is still quite creamy with low carbonation. Drinkability is very good on this. It's a well balanced and well made stout that I wish I would have more access to.

This is right in the middle of a traditional stout and an imperial stout. Someone just getting into the style I think would really enjoy this offering. It's a big stout, but not so big that your average stout drinker would not enjoy it. As Deschutes grows let us hope that coming to Indiana is on their radar.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: