Thursday, January 3, 2008

Delirium Tremens


Beer: Brouwerij Huyghe Delirium Tremens
Brewery Location: Melle, Belgium
Beer Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Serving Style: On-tap
ABV: 9.0%


This was my second beer that I had at the HBG New Year's Eve party. This is another one that I've had before, but it's been a while and it's good to come back to this beer. I have been working on my father-in-law for a while turning him onto better beer, and this was a big winner for him.


A beer named after what happens if you are an alcoholic and suddenly stop drinking you can get something called delirium tremens must be a treat to drink. Lets get started on this one:

Served far too cold again and waited for this beer to warm. The neat thing about waiting for this beer to warm is that you can actually smell the floral bouquet coming to life on this. This pours a bright yellow approaching a golden color with a small white head that left good lacing on the glass until the end. The scent is really complex on this with dominate scents of citrus fruit, fruity esters, and some slight pear scents, and Belgian sugars work nicely together. Immediate flavors are fruity and spicy. Apples and orange peels are the first fruits that I pick out along with strong spiciness and pepper. The mouthfeel is quite effervescent, crisp, light, and bubbly. The warmth of the alcohol is well hidden, but you can taste it in the finish. Drink ability is good and actually dangerously easy.

Overall this is a pretty damn good beer. It is one of the more visible Belgian beers here in America. This is another of the first beers I started drinking that helped me get into beer. I think that there are better Belgians than this, but still ranks very high for the style and very high overall. A can't miss for beer geeks and beer lovers alike.

Thanks again to the Hoosier Beer Geeks for bringing this on tap.

Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

Jim said...

Really wasn't crazy about this beer out of the bottle (we tried it back in June), but I loved it on tap.

The Alpha Klaus wasn't as hoppy as I expected. Will have to try it out of the bottle.