Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster


Beer: Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster
Brewery Location: Athens, GA
Beer Style: American Amber Ale
ABV: 8.3%


This is only my second offering from Terrapin. I've only had beers from their "monster beer tour" series. I've never had anything from their regular lineup. I am curious what this imperial red is going to take like since it has a bit of age on it. This beer only comes out in the fall each year, and Terrapin releases a new "monster beer" every quarter. This bottle is from the 2007 vintage.

Pours a very dark copper color with deep ruby accents when held to the light. A very thin layer of off-white head leaves spotty lacing on the walls of my pint glass. The is extremely malt dominated with heavy scents of dark fruits (figs, plums, and raisins) with only a slight pine scent rushing to the nose. It is not as hop dominated as I thought, but I am assuming the age on this beer is contributing to that. I taste the hops more upfront, but is still rather subtle. The hop profile is a combination of pine and light citrus fruit that is almost earthy with a mineral water quality to it. The malt however steps up the plate and takes over where the hop profile falls flat. The malt tastes of caramelized soaked doughy uncooked bread and sweet toffee. The malt profile is very tasty, but doesn't have much zing without the hops. The mouthfeel is creamy with low carbonation. I certainly would drink this beer again, but it would have to available locally.

Overall, this was a very tasty brew, but doesn't cross into the "monster" territory as the name states. I would like to try this beer this year though when it is fresh and see if the hop profile is a little more vibrant when it is fresh.

Cheers!
Matt

4 comments:

CorrND said...

We still haven't had the Terrapin Wake-n-Bake, but with all the Oskar Blues talk over at HBG over the weekend, Claire and I finally popped the Ten Fidy. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT! That beer is incredible, with a huge coffee kick that we loved.

To my mouth, it had the same kind of dominant coffee flavor in Bell's Java Stout (which so many people don't seem to like) but with a much more malty backbone and more subtle flavors on the finish. Very tasty!

Matt said...

Chris,

I am really glad you like the Ten-Fidy. wasn't it odd pouring it out the can? that is by far the best beer I've ever had out of the can.

Matt said...

I love the name 'big hoppy monster'. love it!

CorrND said...

Yeah, the can was very odd. I made sure to suck up the beer that got caught at the edge after the pour -- we don't waste beer 'round here!