Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Port Brewing Company Wipeout IPA


Beer: Port Brewing Company Wipeout IPA
Brewery Location: San Marcos, CA
Beer Style: American IPA
ABV: 7%


It is officially spring here in Indiana, and I couldn't be happier about it. This past winter wasn't a bad winter in terms of how much snow we got, but it just always seemed like it was either raining or snowing here. As soon as it gets warm outside I start moving to IPA's and pale wheat ales for the summer. My best friend Kevin and his soon-to-be wife Courtney were over last night and I split this bottle with him.

I've never had anything from Port Brewing, but they have a very good reputation and between three brewpubs make a huge lineup of beer. I love the aggressive take of California IPA's, and this one sounds no different.

This beer pours a blazing peach color with two fingers of sticky-white head, and it left spotty lacing on the walls of my pint glass. The nose on this beer just reminds me spring time. Loads of grapefruit, earthy pine, and grassy floral notes, and sweet caramel at the base. The flavor profile delivers right where the nose ends. This is how I like my IPA's. The hop flavor is bitter and aggressive with flavors of pine and ripe citrus fruit. The sweetness of the malt comes in very late to round things out on the palate. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly above average carbonation on it that left a slight "doughy" texture on the back of my palate. The drink ability on this beer is fantastic and I want more!

This beer signaled the coming of summer for me. If this beer were available in Indiana it would go into regular rotation for me. It is a hoppy and aggressive IPA that was just right for this hop-head.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: