Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lagunitas Brewing Hop Stoopid


Beer: Lagunitas Brewing Hop Stoopid
Brewery Location: Petaluma, CA
Beer Style: Double IPA
ABV: 8.2%


It is getting hotter outside and there is nothing better to me than a tasty IPA or DIPA on a warm day. If it is downright hot though I prefer a pale wheat ale if I am going to be outside. In any case I got a bottle of this brew in a trade recently, but I know it is available in Illinois and Ohio. I heard a rumor once about a year ago that Lagunitas was coming to Indiana, but I haven't seen it anywhere as of yet. I've had a few beers from Lagunitas, but this is my first IPA from them. I've had their Lumpy Gravy and Censored Ale. I really enjoyed the Lumpy Gravy, but wasn't much of a fan of the Censored Ale.

Hop Stoopid pours a light golden amber color with a small, but tight white head. It did leave sheets of lacing on the walls of my pint glass. The nose is very vibrant with fresh scents of pine, citrus fruit, and candy sugar. I don't get much malt in the nose, but just loads of fresh hops. The flavor profile is dominated by sticky pine and orange peel. I also get plenty of grapefruit in there, but the pine stays as the most dominant hop flavor. The sweet malt comes into play only slightly and is pushed around by the floral hops, and it never quite makes itself fully known. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly creamy with no alcohol on the mouth. The drinkability is top-notch and I would gladly buy more of this beer if I am able to get any more.

This beer does not have enough malt bite to be a DIPA though I personally don't think, but I am not going to split hairs on this one. This beer is very tasty, clean, and a very refreshing IPA. This was about perfect sitting outside on a warm day enjoying spring.

Cheers!
Matt

5 comments:

Matt said...

I have been meaning to check this stuff out for months, now you just made up my mind.

CorrND said...

I got a 6-pack of Lagunitas IPA when I was in San Francisco last year and didn't think much of it. I'll be there again in June so I'll have to keep an eye out for some of these other ones you've reviewed. They've got quite a few highly rated beers at BA (and the IPA is down the list a bit).

Anonymous said...

Great post, I really enjoyed it. I will have to bookmark this site for later.

Anonymous said...

This Beer IS a DIPA.

Matt said...

I clearly state that it is a DIPA, but my personal opinion was that there wasn't enough malt to be a DIPA, but to each his own, either way it is a solid beer.