Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Stickin' It to the Man


Beer: Tyranena Stickin' It to the Man
Brewery Location: Lake Mills, WI
Beer Style: Double IPA
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 6.5%


I am finally making it through all of the beer that my friend Courtney brought back from Wisconsin for me and her finance, my best friend and beer drinking buddy, Kevin.

This is part of their Brewers Gone Wild! series of beers. This is the second from the series that I've tried. The first was the Spank Me Baby Barleywine that I reviewed a while back.

Pours a deep copper hue with a small off-white head. Plenty of spent yeast still floating in the beer as well. You can actually see it in the picture that goes with this. Decent lacing on the walls of the glass and stayed for the entire beer. Good nose full of pine and sweet citrus fruit. Not as bold as many DIPA's, but still very good for this beer. Good balance of hoppy and malty scents as the beer warms. The taste isn't as bold as the nose would lead onto. A big malty base is really my first flavor, but the bitterness of the hops comes in at the back of the palate and leaves a bitter finish. Slight toffee and citrus notes as the beer warmed, but the citrus notes in the nose never really made it to my palate. The beer is medium bodied with very light carbination. Drinkability is good if I am looking for an IPA, but doesn't stand up to its peers.

I am going to go out on a limb here and not call this a DIPA as they indicated. I think it fits more into the regular IPA style than a DIPA. Of the Brewers Gone Wild series this was my favorite. I doubt I will ever get a chance to sample this again, but I am glad to have been able to give it a try.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: