Sunday, December 16, 2007

Rabid Duck -- RIS


Beer: Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck
Brewery Location: Farmville, NC
Beer Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 10.0%


I do a fair amount of beer trading and this is an offering that I got as a little bonus from a trade. I've only ever had the Baltic Porter from Duck Rabbit and was really wowed by it. Now that it is winter the stouts are going to be making more of an appearance on this blog. This is my favorite time of the year for beer.

Here is a little bit about the Russian Imperial Stout style from the BJCP:

Brewed to high gravity and hopping level in England for export to the Baltic States and Russia. Said to be popular with the Russian Imperial Court. Today is even more popular with American craft brewers, who have extended the style with unique American characteristics.

Even though the name says Russian it is actually an English creation. The same way that India pale ale is an English creation. The higher gravity and hops helped the beer make it all the way from England to the Baltic area and surrounding.

Pours a very opaque black color with a deep tan head with great retention for the entire beer. The nose is a nice combination of roasted grain, chocolate, and dark fruit. When I was almost finished I got a slight smokey scent as well. The taste is of roasted malt, bitter coffee, sweet chocolate, and slight smokey touches as well. I really enjoyed the complexity in this beer with all of those flavors combining quite well. The mouthfeel is very creamy with low carbination. A silky touch of warming alcohol is well done.

There is just so much going on in the complexity of this beer. An outstanding RIS overall. I know we can't get this in Indiana, but if you are ever out on the east coast or know someone who will send you some, this is indeed a great treat. I know I will keep trading for this.

3 comments:

CorrND said...

I'll be in Rochester, NY for Christmas, so I'll keep an eye out for this beer. I think some AleSmith makes its way over to NY so I'm going to look for that too, though that may be a crapshoot.

Do you know of any other interesting things that might be distributed in NY and not IN that I should look for?

Matt said...

One of my favorites you should be able to find that we can't get here (Even though you can get it in Illinois) is Smuttynose.

We can't get Southern Tier or Sarnac here either. Flying Bison is one actually from Buffalo. I've actually had their Blackbird Oatmeal Stout and it is really nice. If you want Alesmith (the shipping will kill you) order is here:
http://southbaydrugsandliquor.googlepages.com/

The guy who does it (Joey) is the best beer packager of any trader I've ever deal with, but again the shipping is killer to Indiana. I will heading to Jungle Jim's in the near future I am sure so I can pick you some up as well.

What time is that tapping on Wednesday night?

CorrND said...

I'll look for those brewers as well. There's a pretty amazing beer shop within 5 minutes of my parent's place called, appropriately, "Beers of the World." I've liked good beer for years but I've only gotten really interested in craft beer in the last year or so and this will be my first trip there. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up bringing cases back to Indy.

The Rock Bottom tapping is at 6pm and beer is free until 6:30. Almost all recent tappings have been downstairs but sometimes they do it at the main-level bar. I just ask the hostess when I go in.