Monday, December 10, 2007

Double Cream Stout


Beer:Bell's Double Cream Stout
Brewery Location: Comstock, MI
Beer Style: Milk/Cream Stout
Serving Style: On-Tap
ABV: 6.1%


I will be writing another review of it later, but Sunday I found myself at the Heorot in Muncie. I really can't say enough about the Heorot, but in a couple reviews I am going to try.

One of the beers that they had on tap (of the many) was Bell's Double Cream Stout. I've only ever had it out of a bottle and was a fan of it, but I really wanted to give it a chance on tap. A cold winters day in the Heorot with a pint of this was just about perfect.

It pours a black obsidian hue with a brown off color head into the pint glass. Great lacing as the beer progressed all the way to the end of the beer. It has a wonderful sweet roasted barley scent with aromas of vanilla, rich chocolate, and a bit of coffee. The taste follows the nose into roasted barley with chocolate and cocoa notes. I didn't get any coffee flavor on tongue, but a bit of vanilla did come to life as the beer warmed more. Not overly bitter with a sweetness coming into play on the back of the palate was nicely done. The mouthfeel on this is smooth and creamy and coats nicely with the alcohol very well hidden. Drinkability is also high due to the low carbination and silky smooth mouthfeel and not overly high alcohol ABV. I could easily make this a session stout.

Well done on this one Bells!

Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

CorrND said...

I'm a fan of this as well. It's not the most robust stout ever, but it's got huge drinkability. During my recent Badaboomz binge, I think I had a pint of this every time I went in there.