Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale


Beer: Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
Brewery Location: St. Louis, MO
Beer Style: Pumpkin Ale
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 8.0%


This was the first cold day of the year and I've had this pumpkin ale sitting in the fridge calling my name for a while. I haven't seen Schlafly in town until I think two years ago when I found their several of their offerings at Party Pak. I like seasonal releases quite a bit. It's nice to see a brewery trying something new, or you are just looking forward to that particular beer at that time of year. This is my favorite time of year for beer. There are so many great beers coming out in the next few months.

The beer pours a deep copper hue and it very rich looking with soft amber accented sides. The head poured a solid two fingers at first, but by the time I tried to take a picture of it, it was almost gone already. Leaves no head and no lacing on the glass once settled. The beer has a nice sweet nose on it. Pumpkin and cinnamon come out pretty easily as does nutmeg possibly? I can't really put my finger on that, but a weak nutmeg is what I think. The flavor on this from first sip is the best pumpkin ale I've ever had. Many pumpkin ales just slap you in the face with pumpkin spice and the flavor doesn't meld together at all, but this has a nice pumpkin and honey sweetness upfront with the light spices dancing around on your palate as well. Cinnamon and nutmeg are present in every drink, but it is so well balanced with the beer and pumpkin flavor. The alcohol is non-existent in this beer as well. I honestly cannot pick it up in the slightest and this beer is 8% ABV. The mouthfeel is very light and with low carbination and keeps you wanting another drink. Drink-ability is very high and you could easily put a few of these down on a cold day.

This is a great offering from Schlafly. It is so well balanced and the spices are not the most dominant thing like so many pumpkin ales. Well worth a try if you see it for sale. I happened to pick this up at Party Pak and they had plenty.

4.4 out of 5.
Cheers!
Matt

Edit: There was a flavor I wasn't 100% on and I cheated and looked at their website and it's butternut squash. I don't know about the brewing process for this, but I think it really toned down the pumpkin so it wasn't overpowering.

1 comment:

Mike said...

As Jason said below...

The Hoosier Beer Geeks will be at the Chattap tonight at 8pm. Come on out if you are willing and able.