Saturday, July 12, 2008

New Holland Red Tulip Ale


Beer: New Holland Red Tulip Ale
Brewery Location: Holland, MI
Beer Style: Red Ale
ABV: I'm guessing less than 5%




I am sad to say that I am not all that familiar with New Holland as a brewery. We get them here in Indiana, but I've just never had that many offerings from them. Through no fault of there own, I had a Mad Hatter IPA at a local bar that the lines must have been infected or never cleaned properly and it was the worst beer I've ever ordered at a bar before, and I just never really looked for their beer after that. I did enjoy their Dragon's Milk though when I had it last year.

This beer pours as a cloudy deep reddish/amber tone with just a slightly off-white head on it. I get some moderate malt aroma on the nose, but it is very light and I have to work at it a bit. The taste is quite soft and very unoffensive with flavors of apples and pears and a touch of biscuit in the malt. The flavor is very soft here and mostly malty, but it doesn't come through with much punch. The mouthfeel is actually quite creamy and light on the palate, and that helps the easy drinkability on this offering.

This was a good beer for the style, but it wasn't one of my personal favorites. I am looking for bolder flavors coming through than this beer, but that shouldn't deter you from giving it a chance.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: