Monday, July 7, 2008

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale


Beer: Lazy Magnolia Brewing Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale
Brewery Locacation: Kiln, MS
Beer Style: Brown Ale
ABV: 4.02%



You don't hear much around Indiana about the brewing happening down in Mississippi, but when I've heard anything about brewing companies down there it has always been Lazy Magnolia Brewing. I honestly don't know if Mississippi has any strange blue laws like their neighbors in Alabama do, but most of Lazy Magnolia's offerings are not very heavy on the ABV, and they make a decent assortment of very quaff able brews.

According to the bottle this is the world's first beer brewed with roasted pecans.

This beer pours an amber tinted brown color that is perfectly clear with a small white head on it that dissipated quite quickly and left minimal lacing on my pint glass. I get a pretty good whiff of caramel malt in the nose, and the nuttiness coming from the pecans I assume, but a pecan scent isn't really distinguishable. As the beer warmed I also get some honey and some maple brown sugar syrup in there as well. I now get the pecan nuttiness in the flavor profile upon first sip along with a malt sweetness that tastes like a mixture of caramel and toffee. I am getting quite a bit of bread in the malt as well. I found the nose and flavor profile to be quite complex for such a low ABV beer. The mouthfeel is medium with slightly above average carbonation and a sweet finish. The drinkability is quite nice on this brown ale, and I would purchase this beer if available locally.

I am glad I was able to give this beer a try. This doesn't get much distribution outside of the deep south though, but if you have the chance to give this beer a try I would say it is worth your time.

Cheers!
Matt

5 comments:

Butch said...

Yeah, we have almost identical laws regarding alcohol and beer as Bama. We’re working on it though. Glad you scored some and glad you liked it. We’re awful proud of it down here.

Matt said...

Butch,

thank you for stopping in. I was curious if you had some strange blue laws in MS. I've got family down in Biloxi, but haven't been down there since I was 15.

Good luck getting those blue laws taken care of. I really don't fully understand why laws like that still exist. I bitch about not being able to buy beer on Sunday, but we've got it pretty good compared to you down there.

Stuart Reb Donald said...

I have fallen in love with this pecan ale. In fact, I feel a little cross-state-lines misdemeanor in my future as I live just accross the border in the Puritanical Heart of Dixie.

I'd kill a drifter for Lazy Magnolia.

Matt said...

If you kill that drifter see if you can get me a few bottles of this as well!

Bufordbeerandwinesupplies.com said...

I made a clone of this that was 6%. I feel it drinks a little better. For the recipe e mail info@bufordbeerandwine supplies.com
I don't ship so you have to use you own supplier unless you are near Atlanta
Gp