Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oskar Blues Gordon


Beer: Oskar Blues Gordon
Brewery Location: Lyons, CO
Beer Style: DIPA
ABV: 8.7%



My friend from Colorado came into town a few weeks ago, and he was so very gracious and brought me a four pack of Gordon. Thanks Chris! I've had most of the main stream line-up of beers from OB, and this is one that had eluded me for a bit. I did try the Gordon in a bottle that had a few years of age on it, but this is obviously the fresh version out of the can.

Gordon pours a very deep ruddy amber color with a small sized, but well lasting, head that left plenty of sticky lacing on the walls of my pint glass. A big DIPA nose greets me that is very heavy on the pine with a touch of citrus fruit (mostly tangerine) and sweet sugary malt coming in as well. The flavor profile is again dominated by the resinous pine flavor that was in the nose with other hop additions like grapefruit rind and earthy hops. The biscuty malt is big here, but doesn't quite stand up to the hops, but that doesn't bother me here. The mouthfeel is very smooth with medium carbonation that left only a touch of alcohol in the mouth. The drinkability is very nice for what I would consider a bigger beer, and I would drink several of these in one sitting.

Overall I really liked this offering from OB. I would certainly have this beer on hand most times if OB was available in Indiana. OB is expanding to many states to the east of us, and hopefully we will see OB here in Indiana soon.

Cheers!
Matt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm, gordon. At over 10 bucks for a four-pack, it's a little pricey to drink more than a couple at a sitting.