Friday, June 13, 2008

Great Lakes Eliot Ness


Beer: Great Lakes Eliot Ness
Brewery Location: Cleveland, OH
Beer Style: Vienna Lager
ABV: 6.2%




I've almost worked through most of the Great Lakes beer I've gotten in trade. This was actually a beer I've never had from Great Lakes and I honestly wasn't much of a fun of the Vienna lager style, so that is why I waited so long to drink it.

You might be wondering what a Vienna lager is, and it is obviously named after the city where it originated. The style has fallen off, and not many breweries actually brew this style any more. When its popularity fell off in Europe the German/Austrian immigrants that went to Mexico revived the style, and today many Mexican beers like Negra Modelo and Dos Equis are Vienna lagers. The biggest name in Vienna lagers that you have heard of is Samuel Adam's Boston lager.

Eliot Ness pours a clear ruby color and will change to rustic brown when held up to the light. A frothy small tan head sits upon this estically pleasing beer. Upon first smell I get tons of the malt scent hitting upfront with the earthy hops coming into play right behind it. I normally don't think of a beer style like this having this nice of a nose on it. As the beer warmed I got more scents of sweet caramel with toasted grains. The flavor profile is a perfect match when compared to the nose. The toasted grain comes through first with a bit of caramel sweetness to it as well and ends with a slight touch of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is very smooth with great balance and the medium carbonation. The drinkable is very good on this offering and I would like to replace some IPA's in my rotation with this beer.

Great Lakes has another well made and delicious beer. This is a tasty lager that I would have around if I was able to get it locally. This beer absolutely blows Sam Adam's Boston lager out of the water though. As Eric Asimov puts it "this is a beer that won't get in the way of conversation." He didn't say that about this beer, but it fits here for me. A great beer for about any occasion that I say again, Great Lakes please come back to Indianapolis!

Cheers!
Matt

4 comments:

Matt said...

Hey Matt,
If there are any beers only available in Chicago you would like
to get your mitts on, drop me a line.

Your blog definitely sets a high standard and I wouldn;t mind feeding it some beer.

Jim said...

Matt, I completely agree with you on this particular beer. I love it and really miss it.

I'm a huge fan of the Vienna Lager style. I will put Negra Modelo in my fridge without shame any day.

Matt said...

Matt,

There are some beers up there that I would like, but I don't really have anything to trade with you that you can't get up there as well.

Jim,

I will have to give Negra Modelo another whirl and see how I will like it. I don't remember it tasting very good, but if it tastes anything like this did I will also buy it.

Matt said...

I like Negra Modelo just fine. And Matt if there is something you desperately craving I can pick you up a sixer, no worries.