Friday, June 6, 2008

Goose Island Pere Jacques


Beer: Goose Island Pere Jacques
Brewery Location: Chicago, IL
Beer Style: Dubbel
ABV: 9%



I am not that familiar with the Dubbel style like I am with other beer styles. I do know that it is a style what was popular in the middle ages, but died out, and then came back in the mid to late 1800's. They re-started with the Belgian Abbeys brewing them again. I have enjoyed all of Goose Islands bigger beer series they have been doing. I was extremely impressed by their bourbon county stout I had a few months back.

This beer pours a deep brown with amber accents with a light tan head on it. I get scents of this beer as I pour it and I get scents of sweet toffee, candy sugar, malt, and a yeasty scent coming to life. It borders on being too sweet, but it is just really a nice nose on this beer. The flavor profile is a melting pot of caramel, figs, plums, and some spiced rum. The flavor profile on this beer is delicious and focuses on the sweet and complex malt profile. The mouthfeel is very full with lots of carbonation that makes this offering quite smooth and refreshing, and for 9% ABV I only barely noticed the alcohol warmth in this beer. The drinkability is superb on this beer, and I am thinking about what kind of food can I pair with this beer.

Another tasty big beer from Goose Island. I do have to admit I am on the fence about most of Goose Island's offerings, but the special beers they have been putting out are really superb. I also like the fact that the bottle lets you know that you can age this beer for over five years, but this beer wouldn't make it that long around my house.

Cheers!
Matt

2 comments:

Matt said...

Living in Chicago I have noticed that they make their flagship beers for yuppie production but are especially proud when they crank something like this out. Now they need to have specials for these beers at the brewpub!

Erik Huntoon said...

I have never tried any of the Goose big beers. I have always heard good things about them, but then as I look at the price of a 12oz bottle my mind wanders to their standard line-up and I get scared off. I guess I just need to bit the bullet and give this and the others a try.