Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Russian River Brewing Temptation


Beer: Russian River Temptation
Brewery Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Beer Style: American Wild Ale
ABV: 7.25%


Temptation: "Aged in French oak wine barrels for twelve months with distinct characteristics of fruit and subtle oak" sounds more like a description of wine than beer. However, Temptation is indeed beer. Temptation is a Blonde Ale aged in French oak chardonnay barrels with Brettanomyces. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout its aging. Temptation is re-fermented in the bottle to create its carbonation--a process commonly used to make fine champagne and sparkling wine. Spent yeast forms a thin layer of sediment to remain in the bottle.

That paragraph is from Russian River's description of Temptation. I've been looking forward to this beer for a very long time. This beer is called an "American Wild Ale" because of the addition of the Brettanomyces or "Brett" as it is often referred to. Brett is very bad for wine and can be very bad for beer, but in the right hands can be a great thing for beer leaving a citrus/funk/twist to the beer. I've even heard it called "horse blanket" in terms of the flavor it imparts to the beer. Earthy and leathery are usually more associated with Brett. The bottle tells me I can age this beer for four years, but I just couldn't wait.

Temptation pours a hazy yellow with two fingers of head in my tulip glass, and it left patchy lacing on the glass. The earthiness of the Brett comes out full force with a funky sourness with hints of lemons, apples, oranges, and "oaked" chardonnay. (I just made that up, but I mean it smells like chardonnay with an extra oak kick to it). The flavor profile starts out slightly sour with flavors that remind me of granny smith apples, lemons, and unripe cherries. I also get a good dose of chardonnay flavor from the barrel aging. This is so pleasant and the flavors meld very well in the profile. I was still finding new things as I drank the last drop of this beer. The ever changing fruitiness on this beer is my favorite aspect of this beer. There is a great deal of expected carbonation in this beer that leaves a dry sensation on the mouth that is actually quite smooth. The drinkablity for this beer is amazing and I hope I can get some more of this beer.

Overall this was an incredible drinking experience. I know it is beer, but right now is has a great deal of wine characteristics to it. I would really like to get my hands on more and age it for a year or two because I think this beer would only get better. I honestly hope though that it doesn't get any better because I would do despicable things to get more of this beer.

Cheers!
Matt

7 comments:

sonnett said...

Not that it matters because the Reds are way back already. But Joey Votto et al. just had his way with your pitching staff...

Matt said...

Every blind squirrel eventually finds a nut Mr. Sonnett :)

Gongrats on getting married man, I just read that on your blog.

Erik Huntoon said...

I have heard nothing but awesome things about Russian River beers. Out of curiousity, did you get that locally? A buddy of mine just took a trip out to California and toured Russian River.. sooo jealous. :-)

Matt said...

I did not get it locally. I traded with a guy that lives not far away from the brewery. I send him FFF's and Bell's and he sends me Russian River items.

I've really enjoyed their offerings thus far, but I split a bottle of Biere De Garde from them with the HBG's and it was good, but I wasn't blown away with it like I was with temptation.

I really want to take a trip out to Sonoma though. Along with the amazing wineries there are about five incredible brewers out there right now. Russian River, Laguintas, Firestone, Bear Republic etc...

Erik Huntoon said...

That sounds like the trip my buddy took. He and his wife went to something like 15 wineries around Sonoma, the tour of Russian River and Anchor Brewing were kind of the frosting on the cake.

I need to get back into the beer trading. Lots of good stuff to be had.

Anonymous said...

Temptation was actually my first foray into Brett beers, and I loved it. I was blown away by the complexities of this one, and would love to get some in the future. I'll have to work out my own lucrative trade deal!

Unknown said...

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Russian Rivers Temptation, Supplication and Beatification beers in the San Francisco and or San Mateo County area for I have friends coming in from back east and they are thirsty for these. If anyone can drop me an e-mail at likesoceanscent@yahoo.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steven