Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Cloud that Burps (and beer at MacNivens)

We went out last night for my early birthday present to see Eddie Izzard at the Murat. (A Cloud that burps is a line from his show last night). We stopped by MacNivens on Mass Ave before the show for dinner and drinks. I still can't put my finger on exactly why I like MacNivens, but I think it is a combination of good food, good service, and a quality beer lineup that I can be assured has been turned properly and the prices are usually fair.

If you have never been to MacNivens it is a Scottish themed restaurant that pays homage to Sean Connery, rugby, soccer, scotch whiskey, and good beer. That is right up my alley.

They have Founders Red Rye on tap right now, and I started off the night with that. As you well know Founders is one of my favorites, and Red Rye is one of their best I think. I've had Red Rye out of a bottle, but this was my first time on tap before. Out of the tap the beer has a much more pronounced pine hop presence and caramel malt scent. The flavor profile is a little more heavy in the hop department, but is by no means a "hop bomb." This is better on-tap than in the bottle, but I will always take either way I can get this beer.

My second beer though didn't stack up very well. I ordered a snifter of Brooklyn Brewery's Blast Pale Ale. It is supposed to be a DIPA, but I didn't think it was by any means. There were some floral hops in the nose, but also a lemony earthiness coming in as well. The alcohol isn't well hidden in the beer and it tasted of sour citrus fruit, and not the good kind that I like. Is this oxidized keg beer? I know other people have said the same thing of the Blast here in Indiana at other Indianapolis beer bars, but it gets high marks in other states. My buddy Nate who was with me had the same thoughts as me, but at 7.25 we made sure we finished our beers. What is up with Indiana's shipment of Brooklyn Blast? I've enjoyed Brooklyn's other offerings I've had, but this one was not good.

Cheers!
Matt

5 comments:

Jim said...

Mike, Gina, and I went to the Eddie Izzard show, too. He certainly did not disappoint.

[Cough] tiger...

Matt said...

When he was acting like the Dinosaur trying to sit in a pew, I lost it.


MONKEY MONKEY MONKEY MONKEY YOU!

We have two lions on the Ark.

The Beer In Me said...

Hello Matt,
You have a great beer blog! I'm listing beer blogs on our website: http://www.thebeerinme.com/

If you would like your blog listed, contact me on our website. Cheers!

Erik Huntoon said...

Founder's Red Rye is indeed some awesome stuff. I actually have never had it in bottle and had only seen it on tap in Chicago. Hopefully it gets a little more play in the Indy area soon as I would make that one of the regularly drank beers if it was easier to find.

Matt said...

I'm with Generik I would love to see it get more play in the Indy area. I never thought I would like a rye beer so much, but this one is really fantastic.