Saturday, March 22, 2008

Victory Brewing Storm King Stout


Beer: Victory Brewing Storm King Stout
Brewery Location: Downingtown, PA
Beer Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 9.1%


I've saved the best for last in my Victory Brewing trade. This beer is quite respected and is one of the top 100 beers on Beer Advocate and on Rate Beer. This is a seasonal offering from Victory and is usually available around the winter time, but according to their website it says available on draft and in bottles year round. My stout kick is starting to fade, but I still like stouts on the occasion anytime of the year.

This beer pours very dark brown, but not quite black, with a finger of creamy tan head that dissipated after a few minutes. It left great lacing for a Russian imperial stout on my pint glass. The aroma on this is a very unique combination of classic stout scents including coffee, espresso, dark fruit, and roasted grain, but also an earthy hoppy citrus scent that actually works itself in very well. The first sip brings on the roasted malt flavor upfront with secondary flavors of espresso and chocolate soaked coffee beans. The citrus hops make their appearance on the finish with just a slight grassy citrus kick at the end. This flavor profile is done very well with as much as is going on with the beer. The mouthfeel is velvety and smooth on the palate that leaves a slightly dry finish. The alcohol is very well hidden and only barely noticeable. The drink ability on this beer is good and I would have more than one of a cold night.

I really enjoyed this beer. I knew this stout used hops in it and I was afraid it was going to be like Black Sun Stout from Three Floyds. The floral aroma was just too strong with the Three Floyds offering, but this is pulled back and subdued and doesn't try to dominate the flavor profile, but only add a little something extra that a normal stout. That makes this an above average Russian imperial stout. If you find yourself down at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati it is certainly worth picking some up.

Cheers!
Matt

3 comments:

Mike said...

had some of this this weekend and was less than impressed - i just expect a lot more out of a beer with a 100 ratebeer score.

i suppose i'll write up my thoughts when i finish my 6-pack.

Matt said...

I don't look at the hype until after I am done with the beer.

I just personally though the balance for me was really nice. Great stout qualities with a little bit of hop kick.

Anonymous said...

I agree about this being overhyped. Tried it against 4 other Imperial stouts and it lost every time. I like it I just think it is accessable to people just getting in to dark beers and makes them go wow. Where true beer geeks and snobs seem to want stronger more pronounced flavors in Imperial Stouts