Thursday, March 20, 2008

Deschutes Brewery Green Lakes Organic Ale


Beer: Deschutes Brewery Green Lake Organic Ale
Brewery Location: Bend, OR
Beer Style: Amber Ale
Serving Style: Bomber
ABV: 5.2%


If you read this enough you know one of my very favorite breweries is Deschutes Brewing in Bend, Oregon. We can't get it in Indiana, but it is well worth seeking out if you are on the west coast or ordering it through Liquid Solutions. This beer is currently available for $4.55 a bomber through Liquid Solutions, but I happened to trade for this bottle.

The idea behind this beer is a brewer being "green" with their beer. According to their website they worked on this beer for four years trying to find the right organic barley. Organic barley roasts differently than traditional barley does, and that was the cause for the holdup. I think it would be interesting to make this beer with both organic barley and regular barley and see if there is any taste differentiation in either beer. This beer beer is part of their Bond Street Series that commemorates their original location on Bond Street in Bend. Their website says this beer is available from January through April. I find it interesting that this beer is made using "salmon-safe" hops in it. I honestly didn't think hops would be much of an agricultural danger for river fish, but you learn something new every day.

This beer pours a very clear ruby hue with a fluffy two fingered white head. The head collapsed quite slowly and left a sheet of lace for the entire beer, and it left spotty lacing on the glass. The nose is a mix of bready malt with a caramel base and some earthy citrus smell is apparent. The flavor profile is unique for an amber ale. The first drink brings on flavors of caramel soaked bread but the bitter hops come in as well. I am not sure if it the organic hops here or the style of hops, but the earthiness if a different type of flavor. It is almost an astringent citrus flavor. It isn't a bad taste to me, but it just strikes me a little differently. Old and bitter black tea is the best way I can try and describe that. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and very smooth. I would drink this again if it were available locally.

I think Deschutes has a good beer here. It does make me feel differently (in a good way) about organic beer. I would say this is good middle of the road beer. It is just a good offering, but doesn't cross the great threshold.

Cheers!
Matt

No comments: