Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stoudt's Double IPA


Beer: Stoudt's Double IPA
Brewery Location: Adamstown, PA
Beer Style: Double IPA
Serving Style: Bottle
ABV: 10%


Spring is pretty much upon us and I am starting to get the itch for pale ales, IPA's, and double IPA's. I got this bottle in a trade a few weeks ago. I've never had or heard of any beers from Stoudt before, so this is my very first offering from them. I don't know much about Stoudt's other than they are from Pennsylvania, and their beers are available in Michigan and Ohio but nothing in Indiana.


This pours a bright and hazy orange color with two fingers of off-white head. The beer left minimal lacing on the walls of my pint glass. The nose presents itself while I pour this beer and I get the smell of overwhelming citrus fruit. As the beer settled a bit I get more bready malt coming through, but I was about half-way done with my beer before I got that. The flavor profile at first sip starts out with a clean citrus hop bite, but the very sweet malt comes into play very quickly and drowns out the hops in the flavor profile. The sweetness is a mixture of honey and caramel. The sweetness if very cloying to me. The mouthfeel is actually really nice and smooth with medium carbonation with a medium body. The drinkability wasn't really there for me in this beer. The sweetness would keep me away from it.

This beer had two good things going for it: esthetically it looks great, and the mouthfeel is really well done for a DIPA. I did not enjoy the cloying sweetness on this beer though. I like my DIPA's a little more bitter than this. Personally, this was a bit of a miss for me.

Cheers!
Matt

4 comments:

CorrND said...

Stop the presses, Matt doesn't like a beer! ;)

Matt said...

Yea, I know it doesn't happen very often on this site, but like I told you before I usually don't review something I don't enjoy. I am going to start doing a little more of everything I guess.

How did you like the terrapin or ten fidy?

CorrND said...

Actually, I haven't tried them yet! I'll definitely let you know when I open them. I've got a weird mental block about opening beers that I have very few of and won't be getting more soon.

Maybe I'll start an "Open That Bottle Night," a la the New York Times thing where people open wines they're holding onto for that "special occasion" that never seems special enough. I sort of started last night, when I finally opened the AleSmith IPA that I got at Jungle Jim's on your suggestion.

Wow, wow, WOW!!

That's an incredible IPA. If this were available in Indy and cost less, it would easily displace Two Hearted for me. Two Hearted is so much more affordable, though. The Alesmith will have to be a special occasion thing (but not TOO special!).

Matt said...

I agree with you. their whole series of beer is really amazing. I am trying to get some barrel aged speedway stout as we speak right now because that is supposed to be their masterpiece there.

The regular IPA would be one my favorites if I could get ahold of it more often.