Monday, February 25, 2008

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA


Beer: Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
Brewery Location: Healdsburg, CA
Beer Style: American IPA
Serving Style: Bomber
ABV: 7.0%


There are so many great breweries across the county, and I am doing my best to try and give each one a try. I've heard some great things about Bear Republic, and this is my first offering from them. I've been impressed with many California brewers interpretations on the IPA style, and I've also been quite let down by some hyped IPA's from there as well. I can't believe this beer is only 2.99 in California. I am not sure why west coast beers are significantly cheaper than here in the mid-west. I can't really think of any bombers that are available locally that are around that price point that I would purchase often. If you ever shop at Liquid Solutions you will notice how west coast brewers tend to have very attractive price points for very well respected beers. You can buy this beer right now for $3.48 a bomber over at Liquid Solutions.

Pours a hazy amber color with one finger of creamy white head that left sheets of lacing on the walls of my imperial pint glass. The smell of this beer hit me as I was pouring it. Big scents of citrus fruit and an earthy grassy scent that both equally vie for your attention. A slight bit of sweet malt is also trying to make itself known on the nose as well. The flavor profile is a duel battle between the sweet caramel malt and the citrus and pine flavor of the hops. Neither flavor dominates each other and this flavor profile is well crafted and well made. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but overall it is medium bodied with lower than average carbonation. The drink ability on this beer is impressive, and it leaves me wanting Bear Republic in Indiana.

This is a quintessential IPA. This is a well made IPA that doesn't slap you in the face with over the top hop flavor, but instead it is a well crafted and well balanced IPA that is a pleasure to drink. This would be good on most any occasion and would pair itself nicely with spicier food. I will continue to buy this from Liquid Solutions or trade for it. This is well worth that minor trouble.

Cheers!
Matt

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is competition that drives the price down in California. There are so many great breweries here and a lot of competition. I live in Arizona and when I trade with people from the widest I am a surprised at the prices people pay. Many of your breweries I think are way overprices compared to what I get here.

I would be nice as well if the archaic and asinine 3-tier system could be amended to that local brewers could get beer direct to local market. The brewer would make more money and the consumer would have a perceived better value since it would be a lower price. We need the 3-tier system though because so many local brewers couldn't get their beer that far away, but I certainly don't think that a local place should have to sell their beer to a 3rd party just to distribute locally.

CorrND said...

Awesome, you got some of this! I was still holding a bottle for you in case we met up at some point. $3.48 is a really nice price. I've seen it for $4.50 in NY and at $5 at Jungle Jim's in Cincy. When I was there, I picked up a bottle of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye that is quite possibly better than Racer 5. Keep an eye out for that as well.

(And yes, one of these days I *will* get my Jungle Jim's post up!)

Jason said...

I don't recall how much I paid for it in Chicago, but I do remember buying all the bombers they had in stock at the time. Very tasty.

Matt said...

Hazy-- I don't know enough about the 3-tier system to talk intelligently about it, but I am sure without it there is a ton of beer I couldn't get around here.

Chris-- I would love some more of this, and I am still holding some Terrapin for you as well.

Jason- if I see it like that I am going to buy it out as well!

CorrND said...

You know, my Dad brought a 6er of 12oz bottles of Racer 5 for me this past weekend. Would you be interested in just trading the Terrapin for one of those straight up? I think it was $12 for the 6-pack.

Matt said...

that works for me. Hopefully we can meet up sometime soon.

Gareth said...

I've had this beer on draught a few times, it is a tasty one. I think I was paying $5 or $5.50 for it.

The Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye is also a good beer, double IPA I think.