Monday, September 8, 2008

Trappistes Rochefort 10


Beer: Trappistes Rochefort 1o
Brewery Location: Rochefort, Belgium
Beer Style: Quadrupel
ABV: 11.3%

As I posted in my last post I've been getting away from IPAs and the like right now, and giving that style a break for a while. I've had a few Rochefort 10's sitting back, and it seemed like a good time to open one up. I usually buy several of these when I find them around town, because it seems like if I see them one week they are sold out the next time I stop by my local craft beer store. This is a beer that is quite respected on the beer rating websites.

This beer pours a hazy dark brown/reddish hue with a small creamy off-white head. The nose is a combination of dark fruits like raisins and figs, candy sugar, slight banana, fruity esters, and you can smell the alcohol in this beer as well. The taste is quite complex with the main players being banana, dark fruit, caramel sweetness, vanilla, and some peppery spices. A really nice combination of flavors and they work really well together in this Quad. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and quite smooth with moderate carbonation, and I certainly get the warming alcohol on the mouthfeel as well. The drinkability is really quite nice for a beer that is 11.3% ABV, but it is a sipper and not your everyday type beer.

A really complex and delicious beer that is well worth having if you find it in stock. The fall of the dollar and transportation costs have raised the price of this beer though. I remember buying this beer two years ago for $3.99 a bottle, but is now $5.99 a bottle at my local beer shop, and I've read they can cost several more dollars than that around the country, but I still think it worth the indulgence every now and then.

Cheers!
Matt

8 comments:

Jim said...

I absolutely adore this beer.

Matt said...

I do as well. If this and St. Bernardus 12 was a little more reasonable I would have them much more often.

CorrND said...

Wow, whipping out the big guns recently Matt! I've never had this one or St. B 12. Might have to pony up sometime and give 'em a whirl.

Matt said...

You have to get a little lucky when you are out shopping. The ST 12 is sometimes a tough find as is the Rochefort. Merchant Du Vin says the demand is huge for the beer and the small brewery just can't keep up with it, and they won't keep up with it.

Anonymous said...

Just finished one and can say this is the only religious experience I have had with beer, worth the $9 a bottle I paid in Canada. One is all you need. Cheers.

wound infections said...

Hello the trappistes rochefort 10 is and amzing subjest that is why i write this post thank you .

wireless sex toys said...

Hello the trappistes is not quite clear to me so i wound like to have more information.

wine furniture racks said...

HI the Roquefort is so great i really enjoy to write about this great subject .