Friday, September 5, 2008

Founder's Breakfast Stout


Beer: Founders Breakfast Stout
Brewery Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Beer Style: American Double Stout
ABV: 8.3%


I've been running behind on posts recently. It has been really crazy for me lately and the blog was not all that high on the priority list as of late.


I've been waiting rather impatiently for this beer to come out. I worked through the last of my stock of this beer, and this is one of my favorite beers. I am not sure when or where it happened, but I would tell you that I am a die hard hop-head, but I think those days are gone. If given the choice I would take my favorite stout over my favorite DIPA or IPA given the chance on most occasions. I think I just burned myself out on that style for a bit.

Breakfast stout pours a very dark black with slight brown highlights at the edges with a thin mocha colored head on it. The nose on this beer is an assult of rich and complex bitter coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted grain, oats, and wood. This is truly one of the best noses you will find on a stout. The flavor profile is a perfect match for the nose with a rich wave of bitter coffee at first quickly followed by a rush of bitter chocolate. The roasted grain also makes an appearance as does cherry and vanilla, but those flavors are lingering in the background when compared to the coffee and bitter chocolate. The mouthfeel isn't as thick as one would probably expect, but it is medium to full bodied and velvety smooth. I don't get a great deal of alcohol on the mouth, but I do feel the warming alcohol in my stomach. The drinkability is really fantastic on this brew, but I wouldn't have to many of them in one sitting, and would be best in moderation.

This is a really fantastic brew. I would like to see a bit more viscosity in the mouthfeel, but that isn't really a big deal for me. This is one of the finer uses of coffee in a beer that I've had along with Peche Mortel. This just hit Indianapolis this week, and get it while you can because it won't be around for very long most likely. I really think Founders is one of the best brewers in the country and one of my personal favorites.

Cheers!
Matt

3 comments:

Dave said...

I heard so much about Founders Breakfast Stout that this would be the first beer I'd seek out next time I'm visiting my folks in Michigan. There are so many good stouts out there these days. It's nice to have the problem of choice!

Matt said...

If you want I can send you a bottle, there is plenty of beer from Colorado that i wouldn't mind trying.

climbhoser said...

Found your blog looking around for how to get Founders in Colorado. Luckily my wife is from GR and we get back somewhat frequently (just moved out here from Marquette, in fact). I'm commenting to your point about being burned out on hops. I'm going through the same thing.

I remember back in the late 90's when only the best craft brewers were using high quality hops in more than moderation for a good bouquet. It was great, and it helped identify beers that were made with passion. However, now I feel like I can't get a beer in an ale style or, heck, even a pilsner anymore than isn't hopped to oblivion!

It's not that I don't like hops...but I would really appreciate a beer than is more complex than just an overload of hops. The straw that broke this camel's back was my first try of Deschutes's Jubelale. Here I thought I would be drinking a sweeter, darker ale and what I got was a dark malted beer that was hopped like a traditional IPA!!!

But back to Founders...if you'd still like a sampler from CO I'd be happy to send some your way. Don't know when I'll be in GR next, but I could even bring some along. That is, if you trust a stranger ;)

BTW, is it panic in the streets in the glove state right now?

-climbhoser@yahoo.com aka Adam