Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weihenstephaner Vitus


Beer: Weihenstephaner Vitus
Brewery Location: Freising, Germany
Beer Style: Weizenbock
ABV: 7.7%



Weizenbock is a more powerful and stronger weizen style wheat beer. They tend to be higher in alcohol and will tend to be darker in color than their other wheat beer brethren. Weihenstephaner makes some amazing beer across board, and they prove what a mega brewer can pump out to the public. I may not like a certain style of beer from them, but the underlying beer has been a great example of the style in every case that I've had a beer from them.

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow color with a very large bright white head that had good retention for most of the beer. I expected for this beer to a bit darker. The nose smells of a good hefe with plenty of banana, cloves, and apples and pears. The flavor follows the nose to perfection, but it also adds in some bubblegum, lemons, and the classic wheat flavor comes in very nice as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some gentle alcohol warming on the backend of things. This is very drinkable and drinks like their regular hefe with more alcohol and plenty of flavor.

If you are a fan of their Hefe you will be a big fan of this beer. This wasn't quite what I was expecting out of this beer, but I ended up really enjoying this beer. I can't remember what I paid for this beer, but for some reason 2.89$ sounds about right at the Crown on 31 and Shelby in Indianapolis. You can't trust stock picks right now, but I am going to put a heavy buy call on this beer. This is another great beer from one of the world's best brewers.

Cheers!
Matt

4 comments:

Erik Huntoon said...

I got to try this from a Weihenstephaner brewhaus in Berlin last fall and loved this beer. I didn't realize it was imported to the US and will definitely have to go seek it out. Weihenstephaner is almost certainly my favorite German brewer, and if we excluded that little country of Belgium, maybe even my favorite European brewer.

I saw you mention Ball State in your Blackout Stout review. Just thought I would throw out that I am a Boilermaker alum that is pulling for the Cardinals. I would love to see them go undefeated this season.

Matt said...

Do you think it fits the Weizenbock style? that is where I am up in the air, but regardless it is awesome no matter what style it falls into.

Ball State was awful while I was in college and it is fun to see them doing well. I hope they can be be a BCS buster, but I don't think that will happen.

OT KG 68 said...

Haha always great when I hit next blog and find a fellow beer geek.

Erik Huntoon said...

I would really need to drink another to decide if it fits the weizenbock style or not. It was over a year ago when I tried it and the tail end of that trip was in Belgium so my memory gets fuzzy with the finer details. :-)